Monday, January 16, 2012

Root a TMobile MyTouch 4G (HTC Glacier) to install Cyanogen

This was my first time rooting an android phone. There are most probably better ways to do this, but here are my notes for better or worse. I followed these instructions, which were pretty good and I won't reproduce them, so consider this a diff. First install the jdk from the 'default-jdk' apt package.

Install the Android SDK, including the platform-tools component to get adb. If you try to use it without root you'll get a permissions error like this:
$ android-sdk-linux/platform-tools/adb devices
List of devices attached 
???????????? no permissions
Add this UDEV rule to /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules. Note this gives all users write permissions:
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="0bb4", MODE="0666"
Plug it back in:
$ android-sdk-linux/platform-tools/adb devices
List of devices attached 
XXXXXXXXXXXX device
Change the mode on the phone to 'charge-only', and unmount the SD card if it is mounted. This allows adb and subsequent rooting tools to access /sdcard. If you have it in disk drive mode you'll get errors like these from adb:
failed to copy 'Superuser.apk' to '/sdcard//Superuser.apk': Read-only file system
To do the cyangogen install you can use the 'ROM Manager' app by ClockworkMod, available in the android market.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

dude i just wanted to thank you for your advice. I searched everywhere and your post was the one thing I needed. I appreciate it so much. I really needed to change the rom on this phone as the stock one sucked so much and I had cyanogen on my nexus before I replaced it with a mytouch. Thanks again.

Chul.K said...

If it doesn't work, try adding:
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="0bb4", MODE="0666", GROUP="plugdev"